I’ve gone Coco-Nuts!
I’m pretty sure that there are 400 ways to use coconut oil and I’ve probably tried every one of them. I have as much love for the stuff as the dad in ‘my big fat Greek wedding’ has with Windex. You can use it for EVERYTHING!
Other than loving the fact that I smell like a ‘holiday’, this amazing miracle oil has a ton of benefits. As a HUGE multitasker, I appreciate a product that is multi purpose: Whatever the problem is, I can solve it with coconut oil!
From beating sugar cravings, to aiding weight loss, there are more benefits of coconut oil than most of us may realize.
Who knew that my secret beauty product is also my Hubbys shoe polish!?!
A typical day in my coconut life starts with:
- Oil swishing. I take a tsp of oil and swish it around in my mouth for 10-20min (give or take). It was a struggle to be silent for that long but now I quite like it….and so does my hubby 😉 The mouth is home to millions of bacteria, viruses and other toxins; the oil acts like a cleanser, pulling out the nasties before they get a chance to spread throughout the body. The oil possesses natural antibiotic and antiviral properties that brighten and cleans teeth, and also boost your immune system.
- I add a spoonful to my coffee, which is a great way to start my day with a huge energy boost and increased mental alertness. When blended it acts like a delicious non-dairy creamer. (that picture is just coffee and coconut oil-nothig else!)
- Another teaspoon is added to my Oatmeal. The oil is sent straight to your liver to be metabolised, which boosts your energy but doesn’t spike your insulin within your blood sugar.
- After a shower, I rub a small sized amount to the bottom inches of my hair for a shiny, soft conditioner with all day frizz protection.
- Coconut oil’s light texture makes it the perfect moisturiser to slather all your skin. It keeps the skin’s connective tissues strong, which prevents sagging and wrinkles, is an antioxidant (protecting against free radical damage) and also has a mild SPF protection.
- I always have a stash of Energy Balls in the freezer made with coconut oil. A great go to healthy brain boosting snack!
- Chapped lips don’t stand a chance against ultra-hydrating coconut oil. I fill up old lip balm containers and stash them in my purse and on my nightstand.
- It is great for baking, cooking or as a dairy free replacement to butter or oil. Coconut oil is able to withstand higher temperatures than other oils such as olive oil, which will oxidise at high temperatures, creating free radicals and turning into a toxic product.
- At the end of the day I remove my make up by massaging a small amount on my face and watch it melt away a days worth of face and eye makeup with ease.
Buying Tip– Make sure that your buying the BEST quality product: Look for an organic extra virgin, cold pressed coconut oil.
All fats are not created equally. In the past Coconut oil did get a bad rap but to briefly touch on the fat debate: (in a nutshell)
Animal saturated fats are not good for you, plant based saturated fats are good for you. It all has to do with the amount of chains that are in the fatty acids. Animal fats have long chained fatty acids which are difficult for your body to break down, putting strain on your pancreas, liver and digestive system. These LCFA are deposited within your arteries in lipid forms such as cholesterol and are stored in your body as fat.
Coconut oil has medium chained fatty acids which are easily digested, putting less strain on your digestive system and stimulating your body’s metabolism leading to weight loss. MCFA are sent directly to your liver where they are immediately converted into energy rather than being stored as fat.
If you don’t already have coconut oil in your life, you’re missing out!
The Happy Coconut;