Vegan Overnight Oats
This is my favourite go-to breakfast. My favourite part? There is NO rushed morning prep. Simply open the fridge in the morning and your healthy breakfast is ready and waiting.
No heating up or cooking required. What could be easier?
I have to admit, we do go through a lot of oats in this house. The whole family enjoys this great breakfast option. Oats are not only an extremely filling choice but an affordable, nutrient-dense food that can start your day off on the right track. Keeping you fuller longer and providing sustained energy throughout the day.
How are they made? I simply mix the ingredients together in a bowl, glass jar or container and let them sit overnight in the fridge.
In the morning you can add some extra mix-in toppings if you want. Switch it up every day for variety.
Ingredients (this is the base that I start with)
- 1/2 c Rolled oats (not instant)
- 2/3 c Almond Milk or milk of your choice (You can adjust the amount to the consistency that you like)
- 1 T Chia Seeds (nutritional powerhouse adding healthy omega fats, protein, iron and fiber)
- 1T Coconut Oil
- ½ t Cinnamon
Mix-In and Topping Ideas
- Fresh fruit (banana, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, mango, papaya…)
- Dried fruit (goji berries, coconut, raisins…)
- Drizzle of maple syrup or honey
- Nuts/ Seeds/ Super foods (chopped almonds, sunflower, pumpkin, hemp seeds, cacao nibs…)
- A dash of ground flax seed, protein powder
Rotate your selection of nuts, seeds and dried fruits week to week, in order to gain variety of minerals, antioxidants, and Omega-3s from each individual serve.
- COMBINE base ingredients in a bowl or glass container.
- STIR well, then cover and refrigerate overnight.
- BEFORE serving, stir and top with your desired toppings.
Store the leftovers in the fridge-covered. They will keep for two to three days.
To take the easiness factor one step further-I premix a large container of the dry ingredients (oats, raisins, goji berries, chia seeds, and cinnamon) Just scoop out what you need.
(and a thank you to my nieces, Madison and Teyha for the beautiful bowl that they made for me in the above photo)