Essential oils are much more than a scent. They do make our homes smell lovely but they offer therapeutic benefits as well.
One of the best ways to use essential oils is to diffuse them into the air – making them a part of every breath you take.
Essential oil diffusers are specifically designed to break the essential oil into small particles and disperse it into the air. What you put into the air enters your lungs. The oil molecules are long-lasting as well – they will remain active in the air for several hours.
How Do Oils Affect Us?
The body absorbs the oils fastest by inhalation (traveling throughout the body in twenty seconds, open airway and kill airborne bacteria) When inhaled, the molecules travel up the nose and are registered by the nerves of the olfactory membranes in the nose lining. The olfactory systems then send messages directly to the brain, which is directly connected to the limbic system.
The limbic system houses all of our sensory experiences and is directly connected to those parts of the brain that control heart rate, blood pressure, breathing, memory, stress levels, hormone balance, and have a very profound physiological and psychological effect.
In our house we diffuse oils for all sorts of reasons – to clean/purify the air, to open up our respiratory/airways, or to adjust the mood in our spaces –calm before bed or energise during the day.
It’s recommended that you diffuse 3 x day for about 30 min at a time.
- AIR PURIFIER: On Guard, Citrus Oils, Breathe + Purify
- NIGHT TIME: Breathe or Serenity
- ODOR ELIMINATOR: 4 Lemon + 1 Melaleuca + 1 Lime + 1 White Fir (Or try Purify Blend)
- SPA VIBE: 2 Lavender + 2 Lemon + 2 Peppermint
- INHALE: 1 Lemon + 1 Lime + 1 Peppermint + 1 Rosemary + 1 Eucalyptus (Or use Breathe)
- FLORAL BLEND: 1 Clary Sage + 1 Geranium + 1 Lavender + 1 Roman Chamomile
- MAN CAVE BLEND: 2 White Fir + 2 Cypress + 2 Wintergreen
- ELEVATE: 3 drops Lemon, 3 drops Orange, 3 drops Peppermint
- WAKE UP: 2 drops wild orange, 2 drops Peppermint
- CALMING: 1 drop ea of Bergamot, Lavender, Patchouli, Ylang Ylang
- PEACE: 2drops Patchouli, 2drops Cypress + 2drops Bergamot
- GROUNDING: 2 Roman Chamomile, 3 Sandalwood, 3 Vetiver
- HARMONY: 3 Patchouli, 2 White Fir, 2 Cinnamon
- FRESH + CLEAN: 2 Lavender, 2 Lemon, 2 Rosemary
- KARMA: 3 lavender, 3 bergamot, 1frankincense
- MAGIC: equal drops: frankincense, sandalwood, cinnamon bark, patchouli, grapefruit
- CONCENTRATE: 5 grapefruit, 5 lime, 2 black pepper, 2 peppermint, 1 rosemary
Other Oil Combinations:
- Citrus Bliss + On Guard
- Patchouli + Bergamot + Wild Orange
- Ylang Ylang + Geranium + Lemon
- Citrus Bliss + Peppermint
- On Guard + Frankincense
- On Guard + Frankincense + Elevation
- Peppermint + Wild Orange (Or try Elevation Blend)
- Rosemary + Wild Sweet Orange (smells like Sprite!)
- Rosemary + Lime + On Guard
- Lemon + Lime
- Lavander + Grapefruit
- California Dreamin’: 4 drops Citrus Bliss + 2 drops Whisper (Courtesy of Hol:Fit)
These are just a few combinations, the possibilities are endless!
Keep your diffuser happy by giving it a quick clean 1x/week by wiping the inside with rubbing alcohol.
Whether you are worried about your personal health, your appearance, your mental well-being, the amount of sleep you get at night, or the cleanliness of your home, there is an essential oil out there that will be able to help you.
Diffusers are an inexpensive and natural way to improve your well-being. A small amount of effort required to incorporate essential oils into your daily life.
Happy Diffusing 🙂